1862 Diary of J. Frederick Hammerly of Co. B, 12th Illinois Infantry

This diary was sent to me for transcription under the assumption that it was written by Martin Hammerly of Co. B, 12th Illinois Infantry. His name appears on the inside cover and he claimed the book belonged to him. However, once I began to transcribe it, I realized rather quickly that it was actually kept by Martin’s brother, J. Frederick Hammerly who served with Martin in the same company and regiment.

In fact, this diary (Diary 2) turns out to be the segment missing between the two earlier diaries of his I had transcribed last year:

Frederick Hammerly, Co. B, 12th Illinois (Diary 1)
Frederick Hammerly, Co. B, 12th Illinois (Diary 3)

J. Frederick Hammerly, born 1834 in Koenigreich, Wirtemberg, Germany. Came to America on 3 October 1852. Frederick served with two brothers in the 12th Illinois—Martin, as I mentioned earlier, and Jacob who drowned on 15 September 1861, not long after his enlistment.

Hammerly’s Diary and Keith Rocco’s Painting of the Battle at Corinth featuring the Tishomingo House

[Note: This diary is from the personal collection of Greg Herr and was transcribed and published on Spared & Shared by express consent.]


This book belongs to Martin Hammerly from Amboy, Lee County, Illinois

General Smith died the 18 or 20 of April at Savannah (Tenn). Let Paducah on the 11th. Days march. January 15, 1862 arrived at Paducah again the 25th of January. Left Paducah again for Fort Henry February 5th. Fort Henry was bombarded ad taken February 6th. Left Camp Heiman for Fort Donelson February 12th 1862. the bombardment of Donelson last three days, February 13, 14, and 15th. Sunday morning February [paper torn] they surrendered. Left Fort Donelson February 22 and arrived at Clarksville (Tenn) in the night on board the Memphis. Arrived at Nashville, Tenn. February 27th on board the Woodford. Came back to Clarksville again March 1st, 1862. Left Clarksville March 6th, arrived at Paducah March 7th, 1862. Stayed a few hours and then went up the Tennessee River. Arrived at Savannah March 11th 1862. Arrived at Pittsburgh Landing March 17th. Camped at 18th. Battle of Pittsburg April 6th and 7th.

Continued from Vol. 1, page 89-90.

Wednesday, April 23, 1862. Nice and warm.

Thursday, April 24. Warm, afternoon commences clouding up. Rained towards evening. There was a skirmish out towards Corinth.

Friday, April 15. Rain almost all day. Received marching orders but after some of our tents were struck, the orders was countermanded.

Saturday, April 26. Fresh but clear this morning. It remained clear and proved to be a fine day.

Sunday, April 27th 1862. Weather fine all day. All of Co. B were vaccinated on account of the small pox in and around our camp.

Monday, April 28th. It has been warm all day but this evening it looks again like rain.

Tuesday, April 29th. Rained last night. Have marching orders. 8 o’clock heard heavy cannonading but about an hour after, it could not be heard anymore. 10 o’clock, are ready to march. 1 o’clock p.m. are halting near the breastworks (consisting of logs &c.) where we received a heavy fire from the secesh on Monday, April the 7th. Quite dark. We are now fixing our camp fire, Midnight, are putting up our tents for it commences raining.

Wednesday, April 30th 1862. It is sprinkling yet but seems to be clearing off. We had breakfast early and left camp right after. The cannonading yesterday was Pope shelling out a rebel camp. We marched about 4 miles and camped. A salute was fired in two places, they say in regard to the victory at New Orleans. Weather had been good and nice to march. Cloudy through all day.

Thursday, May 1st 1862. It had been quite cold last night. Had orders to leave at 11 o’clock. 3 o’clock we are again in camp two-three miles in advance. It’s very warm. Our camp is a place of romance. A bed of oysters must have been here.

Friday, May 2nd 1862. Weather very nice. Had to strike tents at 5 o’clock p.m. and left immediately.

Saturday, May 3rd. We marched last night until about 8 o’clock. Camped on an open field near a few houses. they call it Monterey. I am now on picket since 8 or 9 o’clock a.m. About 4 o’clock p.m. we heard heavy firing on our left.

Sunday, May 4th 1862. It commenced raining this morning at 10 o’clock and rained almost steady until the next morning. The cannonading yesterday was the capture of Farmington with 1500 prisoners.

Monday, May 5th. It is clearing off now. The sun is shining. Sent a letter to John Church.

Tuesday, May 6th. Weather fine. Drawed new Enfield Rifles. Received a paper from Penn,

Wednesday, May 7th. Got a letter from John Dykeman from Mo. Had brigade drill.

Thursday. May 8th. Weather good, quite warm. Left camp Monterey at 10 o’clock a.m. advanced about two miles. Camp on an open field. It is a natural prairie. Heard three or more cannon shot towards the river after sundown.

Friday, May 9th. It looks again like rain. At 11 o’clock a.m. heavy cannonading was heard towards Corinth and lasted two-three hours. This evening we hear that Gen. Pope scattered a number of secesh who came out to drive him out of Farmington.

Saturday, May 10th 1862. It has cleared off again and is getting very warm. An attack was expected all through the day.

Sunday, May 11th 1862. Breastworks were built last night a small distance from our right. Everybody is on a look out for the enemy. We heard some cannon fire way off. Some think it near General Mitchell’s Division. It is hot today. We had a little thunder shower.

Monday, May 12th. Weather quite warm. Our Colonel told us on dress parade that Memphis is taken by Commodore Porter and the Monitor sunk the Merrimack for which news three hardy cheers were given. Received two letters—one from Cousin Fred and the other from brother John M.

Tuesday, May 13th 1862. How warm it is. We left camp and advanced two miles further toward Corinth. A letter from S. Reff. Sent a letter to Rushville, Pa.

Wednesday, May14th. Weather very warm. This evening we moved our camp a few hundred rods to our right in order to cover the space between ours and Hurlbut’s Brigade. Considerable firing was done through the day and night by the pickets. three of Hurlbut’s Brigade were brought in wounded.

Thursday, May 15th. Weather a little cooler. The pickets on both sides are keeping up their fire. Water is now a very scarce article and as there is a creek between the two picket lines and both parties are determined to get their water there, it causes them to fight. Had roll call 4 times today.

Friday, May 16, 1862. Weather warm. It looks cloudy. Night cleared off again.

Saturday, May 17th 1862. Weather cooler. Advanced a half mile. Laid in an open field ready for any emergency. Had a little rain in the night. General Hurlbut drove the enemy back towards night and gained a hill.

Sunday, May 18th. We are now throwing up breastworks on a ridge on the edge of a wheat field (the wheat is ready in the milk) 5 o’clock, Martin and I are detailed for pickets.

Monday, May 19th. It is rather too much firing going on here. 10 o’clock, three companies of Sharpshooters have come to our assistance but they do the most of the firing. Secesh bullets though are coming frequently. A sharpshooter got killed by one of them this afternoon.

Tuesday, May 20th 1862. Was relieved today at 6 o’clock p.m. Had quite a rain shower last night and several showers through the day. Some firing to our left, both muskets and cannon. Several distant volleys were heard in front of our pickets. They say this evening that four Irish regiments rebelled against their secesh army and consequently we heard the firing in front.

Wednesday, May 21st 1862. Rain again last night. Left camp and went out to our picket line. The pickets had to be moved with our artillery. They were driven back twice by force before we had our breastworks done, but dared not venture to give the brigadier a call. Our pickets are advancing on them. Before night our breastworks were completed. Numerous times we had to fall in. Sent off two letters—one to Cousin Fred, another to Michigan.

Thursday. May 22nd. it was quite cool last night but today it is again very warm. It seems to be clouding up. We fell in several times but nothing but picket firing at each other was the alarm. Some cannonading was heard again to our left. Isaac Camp shot off his thumb whilst on picket.

Friday, May 23rd. For over a week we are falling in on the color line ready with two days rations and packed for a march. This morning it has been cool and damp. It commenced raining this forenoon and is raining yet (most nights). Much firing has been done today on picket.

Saturday, May 24th 1862. Army before Corinth. It has been pretty cool again last night but is quite warm today. This has been a very still day although our pickets say they heard some cannonading off to our left. For some reason or other we had to leave our supper and put on our accoutrements and stack arms on the color line. I suppose there is an attack expected. The artillery too harnessed their horses. One of our Co. C shot a part of his finger off whilst on picket.

Sunday, May 25th 1862. Cool again last night. Quite a number of the regiment out on the color line on their own hook because of a few musketry by our pickets. They are fixing a signal tree in front of our regiment. Then commenced on it yesterday.

Army before Corinth. May 26th. This has been an unusual still day until three o’clock p.m. when there was cannonading heard 4-5 miles off to our left. Later. I now hear that a brigade in Pope’s Division had advanced and with cannons had to move the enemy’s lines. The lookout tree was mounted by several men this afternoon.

Tuesday, May 27th. I am now on picket a little over half mile from camp. It has been still this forenoon (with the exception of hearing the cars and locomotives and some secesh drums) but now (nearly noon) volleys of musketry are heard a mile or two to our left. Later. Some distant cannonading can be heard way off to our right, probably on the Mississippi river.

Wednesday, May 28th. It was quite still last night. This morning early several large cannons were heard seemingly o Pope’s Division. 9 o’clock a.m. Hurlbut close to our right came out as far as the picket line and shelled out the Rebels close to our picket line. I could not hear any reply. I am now relieved. Coming to camp, orders were given to be ready to march any moment’s warning. Great cannonading now again is heard a few miles distant to our left. 12 o’clock, the cannonading on our left is increasing. A distinctive fire was kept up all the afternoon. Quite a little battle was fought where i was on picket this afternoon. 7 killed and wounded. On our right 420 are reported to be killed and wounded on our side where the great cannonading was today.

Thursday, May 29th. It has been quite warm. Yesterday and last night a few cannons were fired in front of us by Hurlbut at 2’clock last night. Considerable cannonading again since 11 o’clock a.m. Left camp and advanced half mile where some other regiment had thrown up breastworks last night. We relieved them. Instead of 420, there were only 70-80 killed and wounded & some taken prisoners.

Army before Corinth, Friday, May 30th. Two sky rockets waked me up about two o’clock last night (this was considered by all who saw them a signal of something). At daylight some peculiar explosions were heard by all the troops in the direction towards Corinth. The evacuation and the blowing up of their magazines was immediately expressed. A short time after this we heard the assurance of all this news and more, “that Beauregard had left the place in the afternoon of the 29th in a one-horse wagon and his army left in different directions.” It is the opinion of many now (as we have left our camps or position and are marching towards the left wing) that the rebels design to turn our flank right and left. We heard a few cannons this evening. Perhaps Pope and Mitchell are interfering with them.

Farmington, May 31st 1862. Camped in a wheat field on the south side of the town. Had a pretty warm time marching yesterday. Started on a new march this morning at 4 o’clock. We are suffering from heat and thirst a great deal. Water is a very scarce article this 4-4 weeks. This afternoon as we rested, we heard a few cannons and some distant musketry seemingly south of us and either in Pope’s or Mitchell’s Division. We are now south of Corinth.

Sunday, June 1st. I was detailed to help remove the old camp, Went through Corinth twice. Saw many of the evacuated breastworks and burned buildings and other property. Corinth is (or rather was) a nice place. Coming back I saw several families moving back to their old homesteads. Received four months pay. Fifty-two dollars. Martin received a letter from Amboy.

Bear Creek, Mississippi. Monday, June 2nd. Rained a considerable today. Martin and I went over to the 36th Illinois. They and many other regiments went out on a light march. It has been a pretty still day. Heard the cars come in Corinth. Three to four hundred prisoners are reported to have been taken by Pope. Two days rations were ordered to be cooked.

Tuesday, June 3rd. Several showers last night. This morning it is pretty warm. It has been a still day. We heard the news of Memphis being ours.

Wednesday, June 4th 1862. Left camp and marched about 7 miles. Went through Danesville [Danville] , Miss., passed a rebel battery where several of the 7th Illinois Cavalry were killed a few days before. [Abner] H. Jordon, Co. I, Illinois 7th Cavalry is buried there. 1

1 Corp. Abner H. Jordan was indeed in Co. I, 7th Illinois Cavalry. He was killed while on a scout on 30 May 1862 on Tuscumbia Creek. Abner was the son of William W. Jordan (1805-1853) and Philena Harris (1806-1884) of Macon county, Illinois.

Camp south of Danville, Miss., Thursday, June 5th 1862. This morning I picked two cups of ripe blueberries. Saw some wheat cut and shocked. Went on fatigue to build bridge and cut road through the woods.

South of Danville. Friday, June 6th. Weather fair. This has been a remarkable day. 3:30 o’clock orders to pack up and march immediately.

Saturday, June 7th. Left Camp about 4 o’clock yesterday and marched until midnight. Marched through a town called Rienzi. Stayed by side of a main road in thick underbrush a few miles from Booneville.

Sunday, June 8th 1862. Weather fair. Received orders to be ready with three days rations to march early the morrow morning.

Monday, June 9th 1862. Orders to march were countermanded early this morning. 5 o’clock five companies on picket this evening.

Tuesday, June 10th 1862. Weather dry and warm.

Wednesday, June 11th. Many of the troops are passing by on their way back (Very warm).

Thursday, June 12th 1862. Had a hard march today. Has been very dusty and hot. Marched through Rienzi and Danville. Camped in a large open field 4 to 5 miles south of Corinth. Memphis taken June 6th.

Friday, June 13th. Arrived at our old camp (Bear Creek) where we have been paid off. The 1st inst. a little before noon we took our quarters a little nearer toward the railroad. A locomotive and an open car passed by soon after run by our soldiers.

Saturday, June 14th. The fixing up of our quarters indicate that we may stay here for some time.

Sunday, June 15th. Weather very warm. All quiet here and vicinity. No more rebels to be heard of.

Monday, June 16th. In the afternoon we had quite a rain shower.

Tuesday, June 17th 1862. Camp at Bear Creek. Rain again last night mixed with heavy wind.

Wednesday, June 18th. Weather fair. Received a letter from Rushville, Pa. Borrowed 5 dollars of Isaac W. Camp.

Thursday, June 19th. Weather cloudy and cool.

Friday, June 20th, 1862. It has been chilly last night and night before, but today it is real warm.

Saturday, June 21st 1862. Cold last night but warm again today. Sent a letter to Rushville, Pa.

Sunday, June 22nd. It has been cold last night but is hot today. Had brigade dress parade.

Bear Creek Camp near Corinth, Miss. June 23rd 1862. Monday, it has been very warm all day. Received a letter from Chris. Alfred.

Tuesday, June 24th. It is a little cooler.

Wednesday, June 25th. Weather very warm. Later. Oh how hot.

Thursday, June 26th. Hot, hotter, hottest. Oh, how hot.

Friday, June 27th. Had a shower towards evening.

Saturday, June 28th 1862. Rained most all day.

Sunday, June 29th. Weather clear and comfortable. Got some wild cherries and blackberries. Had Brigade dress parade. Four of our sick left at Pittsburg and other places arrived.

Monday, [June] 30th 1862. Weather fair. Were mustered for two months pay. Received a letter from George and a picture of his lady. (Ch. Peterson arrived.)

Tuesday, July 1st 1862. Had several showers.

Wednesday, July 2nd 1862. Warm.

Wednesday, July 3rd 1862. We are going on picket. Had a first rate time. Had a taste of milk. Sent off a letter to George.

Fourth of July. Came back from picket at 10 a.m. Had quite a celebration, a visit and several speeches by our old Col. McArthur and Adj. Dickson and others. Also a dress parade superintended by them. They informed us of the good news of Richmond being most surely in our hands.

Saturday, July 5, 1862. Had been very war all day. Sent a letter to Mr. Brigham. Richmond is not taken yet.

Sunday, July 6th. Weather hot. Had Brigade Dress Parade. Co. B and H received marching orders but Co. E went in their stead.

Monday, July 7th.

Tuesday, July 8th. Move our camp in front.

Wednesday, July 9th. Martin and I had our pictures taken.

Thursday, July 10th. It rained a considerable.

Friday, July 11th. Had a severe rain shower.

Saturday, July 12th. Been quite warm.

Sunday, July 13th 1862. Weather hot. Had Brigade Dress Parade.

Monday, July 14th. Hot. Had several rain showers mixed with heavy showers. Received two letters—one from Conderman and one from Christian.

Tuesday, July 15th. Very warm.

Wednesday, July 16th. Weather cloudy. Had a few showers.

Thursday, July 17th. Rained most all night and had a number of showers today. Sent a letter to Mother.

Friday, July 18th. Quite cool and comfortable.

Saturday, July 19th. Had been quite breezy. Martin sent a letter to C. Church.

Camp near Corinth, Miss., Sunday, July 20th 1862. Weather warm. Had Brigade Dress Parade.

Monday, July 21st, 1862. Pretty warm. Some call it hot.

Tuesday, July 22. We (Co. B, A, and K) are out on picket again. Had been very warm.

Wednesday, July 23. It rained pretty much all last night and had been so dark for the relief to get lost (received a letter from Michigan).

Thursday, July 24th 1862. Weather cool.

Friday, July 25th

Saturday, July 26th. Weather comfortable. Sent a letter to Rushville.

Camp near Corinth, Miss., Sunday, July 27, 1862. Weather comfortable. The few last night had been rather cold. Had Brigade dress parade again.

Monday, July 28th. Weather fine. Our Brigade Drill is changed to five o’clock p.m. Received orders to have 40 rounds of cartridges each. Brigades and Division are changing their positions. Some have left all together. Some trouble is expected.

Tuesday, July 29th. Had a shower towards evening. A number of bridge burners have been caught and two who were recognized taking the oath of allegiance several days since were strung up. Sent a letter to Ed Bridgeman.

Wednesday, July 30th 1862. Had a considerable rain. Went on Brigade guard.

Thursday, July 31. Cloudy but warm. Had Division Review.

Friday, August 1st 1862. Rain fell in torrents last night. Sylvester Church had been here.

Saturday, August 2nd, 1862. Some cloudy. Rained a little. Received two letters—one from Chr. Burch, one from George. I went again on Brigade guard.

Sunday, August 3rd. It has been very warm today. Companies A, B. & C wet on picket. Sent off two letters—one o Cousin Fred and the other to G. G. Evans.

Monday, August 4th. Pickets retuned. It is awful warm.

Tuesday, August 5th. It is very warm today. Received a letter from Mother.

Wednesday, August 6th. Am on Brigade Guard. Weather hot.

Camp near Corinth, Miss. August 7th 1862. Weather more comfortable than it has been the few last days.

Friday, August 8th 1862. Weather is comfortable. Sent a letter to Michigan. Another to Mother. A third to George. Martin sent one to Hattie Conderman.

Saturday, August 9th. It has been hot today. The 13th Missouri left for Corinth. Brigade guard.

Sunday, August 10th. Hot. Martin sent a letter to J. C. Church.

Monday, August 11th. Our whole regiment on picket. Nothing transpired but the cutting of the telegraph by a person dressed in U. S. soldier’s clothing.

Tuesday, August 12th. It was ten o’clock when we came [in] this morning and how we did sweat.

Camp near Corinth, Miss. Wednesday, August 13th 1862. I was detailed to go with the foraging party. We went about 6 miles beyond the picket line. Found lots of peaches, apples, pears. Also a load or two of green corn. Women talked much S—- and too much secesh. It has been a very hot day and we were much fatigued.

Thursday, august 14th. It has been very warm today.

Friday, August 15th. We had a little rain but much wind last night after it growed cool and continued all day. Received two letters—one from Mr. Brigham, another from M. Northway. Many up home fear of being drafted.

Saturday, August 16th 1862. It is comfortable and breezy today. The papers yesterday rather give Rebel Jackson the best hand. Today we hear that he had to run. Received a letter from S. Bridgman.

Camp near Corinth, Miss. Sunday, August 17th 1862. We, the 12th Illinois Regiment, went on picket. Weather cool. Heard from G. G. Evans.

Monday, August 18th. The pickets of the 16th Wisconsin were fired on but no one hurt. The 18th Missouri started after the offenders early this morning. Heard cannonading seemingly towards Grand Junction or Jackson right after sunrise. Had general muster.

Tuesday, August 19th 1862. Weather cool and comfortable. Martin and I went to Corinth and sent off a box. Co. I received marching orders but afterwards countermanded.

Wednesday, August 20th. Weather fair. Sent a letter to M. N—-ay. Received two months pay—$26.00.

Thursday, August 21. Went on picket this morning.

Camp near Corinth, Miss. Friday, August 22d 1862. We came in after 10 o’clock this morning. Received a letter from Christian. Saw the comet for the first time. [See Comet of 1862]

Saturday, August 23d. It is pretty warm today. Sent for watches to Hubbard Brothers.

Sunday, August 24th. Weather comfortable.

Monday, August 25th. Fine weather. Sent a letter to John Dykeman.

Tuesday, August 26th. Fine weather, Came off camp guard this morning. All the guards shot at a target. I made the best shot. Received two letters—one from Mother, another from Ch. Alf from Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, Pa.

Wednesday, August 27th. Went on picket again. Weather fair.

Camp near Corinth, Miss., August 28th 1862. It was 10 o’clock when we came in from picket. The regiment had all been ordered out on the color line last night. Ten years ago today I left home. One year ago today, I joined the 12th [Illinois] at Bird’s Point, Mo. Eight years ago today my folks came to Illinois.

Friday, August 29th. Weather fair. Received a letter from George.

Saturday, August 30th. Went on picket again. Had a new position. Martin received a letter from Ch. Church.

Sunday, August 31. Came in from picket. Soon after were mustered for pay. Had quite a rain shower this afternoon. It is now cloudy and cool. Received a letter from Rushville, Pa.

Camp near Corinth, Miss., Monday, September 1, 1862. Had been quite cool today. Mosquitoes are getting bad. Sent a letter to Uncle Martin.

Tuesday, September 2nd. I am on guard today in camp. There is much excitement about the news of the Battle of Virginia [2nd Bull Run].

Wednesday, September 3rd. Had been quite cold last night. Co. B the most of them went on picket. Were ordered out for a review. 6 regiments were there. A man was said to be shot for shooting his Major but his execution is postponed. Received a letter from M. N.

Thursday, September 4th. Weather fair. Started with the teams to Hamburg, La. Sent a letter to Mr. Brigham (and George).

Friday, September 5th. Arrived at Hamburg 11 o’clock. They are preparing for an attack. Roads are very dusty.

Camp near Corinth, Miss., Saturday, September 6th 1862. Left Hamburg about 2 o’clock yesterday and arrived today at Corinth about noon. At camp at 2 o’clock.

Sunday, the biggest part of our company went on picket. Weather quite breezy. Received letter from Cousin fred.

Monday, September 8th. They came in from picket. The regiments around here received orders at 3 a.m. to be ready for action. Something was expected but as yet nothing has transpired. I went on camp guard. Sent a letter to Camp Curtin, Pa.

Tuesday, September 9th, 1862. Came off camp guard this morning. Made the best shot again. Weather comfortable but is fixing for rain. Received a letter from J. Dykeman.

Wednesday, September 10th 1862. Weather breezy. Received our watches.

Thursday, September 11th Went on picket this morning. Had some milk.

Friday, September 12th. 1862 Came in before 10 o’clock. It looks like rain. Sent a letter to Rushville.

Saturday, September 13th, 1862. Weather fair and comfortable. Rumors are afloat of an attack on this place.

Sunday, September 14th 1862. I went on Division Guard at 7:30 a.m. Had a exceptional little rain.

Monday, September 15th 1862. This morning at 3 o’clock an officer on horseback brought in some reports to Capt. Lovell (Gen. Davies’ Aide-de-Camp). Said officer had been at Iuka and Booneville. He did not see any rebels. Rosecrans’ Division came in a few days ago. They are keeping a strong look out in an easterly direction.

Tuesday, September 16th 1862. Weather cool, cloudy, and windy. I been over to see the 14th Wisconsin with Brewer. Could not hear of the 21st Missouri. 3 o’clock p.m. received ,arching orders and to be ready in 15 minutes. Sent a letter to M. N. W.

Wednesday, September 17th 1862. Got our breakfast before daylight and orders to be ready to march at 6 o’clock but it was nearly 9 o’clock a. m. before we left. Took a south easterly direction. It commenced raining about 11 a.m. and rained nearly till night. Camped at Glendale near the M & Mobile Railroad. Marched about 8 miles . As we crossed the railroad, the cars run over a team, overthrowing the wagon and killing two horses. Was on fatigue.

Thursday, September 18th 1862. Left camp about 8 o’clock and marched southeast again. Camp at Burns or Barnesville. Good news from the East. The rebel army entirely cut off. Several thousand taken prisoners. Harper’s Ferry in Burnside’s possession.

Friday, September 19th. Were ordered to get ready to march early this morning. Had inspection of arms at 6 o’clock. Stacked our arms and are now waiting for two hours to fall in. 5 o’clock p.m., we now are again on a move toward Iuka. Camped at the edge of an open field an hour after sundown.

Saturday, September 20th 1862. Were roused early this morning partly by its being so cold and partly for an early start. Left about 5 o’clock a.m. and marched until 7 when we and all the rest of the regiments formed in line of battle. A quarter of an hour afterwards, several cannons were heard in front of us but now all seems to be still. 9 o’clock all is still yet but now we have orders to advance. We advanced by the right flank on the road to Iuka. Skirmishers on the left and right. The advancing regiments arrived at Iuka about 1 o’clock when we heard of the battle fought two miles from town the day before. I saw the Iuka House full of dying and wounded, both C. S. and U. S. soldiers. They report from 1,000 to 1,200 killed & wounded on both sides and about equal on either side. Left Iuka in the afternoon. After we stayed about an hour or more, arrived at Burnsville after dark and camp a little east from town.

Sunday, September 21st 1862. Left our night quarters and marched through Burnsville. Halted west of the town about an hour when we marched back through the town again. Halted on a hill northeast of Burnsville. We were informed to garrison this place. Later, we were making ourselves comfortable gathering up all the boards and slats scattered around here. Our tents are expected tomorrow. After Peterson, Martin and I had a comfortable shed, we were ordered on picket.

Monday, September 22. It had been quite cool on picket last night. I could hardly keep from sleeping but the dogs kept up a continued fighting yell.

Tuesday, September 23rd. Had a little rain today. This forenoon we piled up scattered lumber at Burnsville. Our tents and part of our mail arrived.

Burnsville, September 24th. Weather fair. Had been quite cool last night. Went on Camp Guard this morning. Received a letter from the 141st P. V. and Martin one from R. Conderman.

Thursday, September 24th 1862. It had been very cool last night standing guard. Was relieved at 9 o’clock. Had dress parade the second time since we came here. Received a letter from brother.

Friday, September 26th 1862. Cleaned our company streets this afternoon. We had a rain shower. After supper we went on dress parade.

Saturday, September 27th 1862. Weather cool and cloudy. Had a speech from Hon. Mr. Washburn after dress parade. Received a letter from George.

Burnsville, September 28th 1862. Commenced raining about noon and rained till night. They had meeting in th Baptist Church today. Also in the evening. I was on camp guard. The 11th Ohio Artillery passed through town on the way to Desoto.

Monday, September 29th. Had been cloudy and sprinkled some. Cleared off this afternoon.

Tuesday, September 30th. Had ben cold last night but it is very warm today. Martin and I went out into the country and got persimmons and our dinner in a secesh house. I spoke to their clock and made it run.

Wednesday, October 1st 1862. 15 of us went out as picket or vedette at three in the morning. At 8 we were relieved.

Thursday, October 2nd 1862. Burnsville, Miss. Had a little rain this afternoon but a heavy wind before. Sent a letter to George and slip to Mr. Brigham.

Friday, October 3rd. Received marching orders this morning at 1 o’clock. Left Burnsville at daybreak on an open train. When we arrived at Corinth, we heard distant cannonading. Were told that the rebels was advancing on to Corinth. After an hour’s halt, we marched about 5 miles on the east side of the Memphis Road and took possession of the rebel’s old breastworks. Had fairly arrived within them when we saw the rebels through some open spaces of the timbers about 300 rods distant, marching by the flank. Our artillery discovered them and threw shell and shot among them, but nothing seemed to affect them.

Hammerly’s handwriting

Soon after about 12 o’clock p. m., they appeared in line of battle marching without faltering seemingly not to notice the deadly volleys which we poured into them. Soon they had a crossfire on our whole division. We consequently were compelled to leave the works. After falling back about two miles, we formed, advanced a few rods. We, the 12th [Illinois] supported a battery. Their men gave out and some of our regiment assisted them. I volunteered for one but had scarcely stepped out when they had to fall back. Afterwards we had a brisk fire of musketry, falling back again. The artillery from the forts finished the day’s work. Grant’s reinforcements were expected the coming morning.

I lost my hat, was run over by a man who fell on my knee with his gun, was struck in the heel of my shoe. All this was done in and within a few steps of the ditch. A few hours after, I was struck in the cartridge box, the bullet lodging in a bunch of cartridges. I was nearly gone from the effects of the hot sun and the shock. About p. m., I hunted for a hat and water. Got a hat of U. S. Artillery. Found the regiment in the morning on the right centre.

Saturday, October 4th 1862. Cannonading commenced early—before daybreak—the rebels throwing shell and shot in town. Several houses were struck. Also the Tishomingo House which was filled with the families of the officers. But soon it was deserted. Stragglers took everything they could lay their hands on. I was separated from the regiment in the evening before and in the morning coming up to headquarters was detailed as a guard over the Tishomingo House between 9-10 o’clock & was relieved and just as I joined the regiment, a terrible battle commenced. The rebels succeeded to get in town in numbers but after a hard contest, they were repulsed. Our forts had a splendid crossfire on them. One of the forts threw shell among them from our rear and as we had the rascals on a fair retreat, had to fall back to let the shells play over us. Three of our own men were killed by our shells. One of Co. A, Co. k, and Co. G. Gen. [Pleasant Adams] Hackelman was killed Friday. Gen. [Richard James] Oglesby dangerously wounded. Our company lost killed—Sergeant Hale and private Ed Jeffs. Wounded—Dewey, Donley, Barnes, Mart. Clink, Lieut. Cook, Ward, John Towner. Prisoners—Clink, Martin Hammerly, Ben West, Peterson, J. Long, Goodrich. Our regiment counts 14-15 killed, 80 wounded, and some taken prisoners.

Sunday, October 5th 1862. A portion of our regiment stood picket last night. As we came in orders were given to fall in. After taking a few rations, we marched and came through a portion of where we fought the first day. The maggots were to work on the dead and could hardly be recognized. After marching about 6 to 7 miles, we were hurried back to Corinth again. Rebels were reported in the rear but turned out to be a few guerrillas.

Monday, October 6th. We are laying a few rods from a new store or freight house filled with prisoners. Weather has been very warm since the 2nd and 3rd inst. Sent off letter to Mother.

Tuesday, October 7th. We struck up a few tents until further orders. Are expecting to move to a camp. Sent a letter to R. M. Brigham and to M.

Wednesday, October 8th. It is very muddy and dusty this morning. Are yet awaiting orders for a camping place. Went on picket.

Thursday, October 9th. Come in from picket. Had been very warm. Squads of Negros passed by on their way to their corral. They say they had the day before finished burying the dead.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s