1865 Diary of Grant James Anderson, 37th Georgia Infantry

The following diary was kept by Grant James Anderson (1842-1917), the son of Dr. James Anderson (1803-1860) and Priscilla Neal Beall (1810-1854) of Upton county, Georgia. Dr. Anderson was an 1828 graduate of the Medical School at Transylvania University in Lexington, Kentucky. In the 1850 US Census, Dr. Anderson’s household included his wife and four children between the ages of 15 and 21 that were his wife’s by a former marriage, and four children of his own, between the ages of 7 and 14—Grant being the youngest. His real estate was valued at $7,000 and he owned as many as 15 slaves. In 1852, he had over 500 acres under cultivation in both Upton and Pike counties. His 1860 Will indicates that he owned land in Louisiana as well, all of which had to be split between his surviving sons. Grant also inherited some of his father’s property in Negroes—namely “Washington, Moses & Mary and their natural increase and two thousand dollars.” Grant was also awarded all of his father’s “mechanical and surgical tools & medicine.”

Grant’s parents, Dr. James Anderson and Priscilla Neal (Beall) Anderson were both deceased before the Civil War began.

Little information can be found pertaining to Grant Anderson. He appears to have been well educated based upon his writing ability and particulary well read and active in the Methodist church. He was 21 years old when he enlisted on 5 March 1864 at Macon as a private in Co. C, 37th Georgia Infantry. It isn’t known if he volunteered or was conscripted. Clearly he was not of a very strong constitution, however. Whether Grant spent much time toting a musket with his regiment cannot be ascertained from muster rolls and for nearly the entirely of this diary he was hospitalized suffering from lameness and neuralgia. It begins in January 1865 following the devastating defeats of Hood’s Army of Tennessee at both Franklin and Nashville. If Grant was with Cheatham’s Corps in those engagements, he does not say so.

Grant was married to Annie Eliza Fletcher (1846-1928) in February 1869 at White Sulphur Springs, Meriwether county, Georgia. She was the eldest daughter of Benajah J. and Catherine S. Fletcher.

When Grant’s widow filed for a widow’s pension in 1917, she stated that her husband had been as assistant surgeon during the war. Perhaps Grant’s medical skills, learned from his father, were considered more valuable than his fighting skills and his duty in hospitals was as a care giver.

[Note: This diary is from the personal collection of Rob Morgan and was transcribed and published on Spared & Shared by express consent.]


Grant J. Anderson
Co. C, 37th Ga. Regiment
Tyler’s Brigade, Bates’ Division, Cheatham’s Corps
Army of Tennessee
January 1865
Corinth, Mississippi

January 1865

January 1, 1865—[ ]…I can say with David “How excellent is thy….kindness…from town [mostly illegible due to poor ink]

January 2—This morning I feel….but…..read the 40th Psalm and …but magnify Thee Oh Lord. ….

January 3—Having spent a restless night….

January 4—….John Hunt pay me for boots $90. I visit Dr. [George M.] McDowell, our Chief Surgeon but he was absent.

January 5—Our wagon train ordered down to Tupelo. Dr. [J. J.] Calloway desired me to go with ambulance, he going to the hospital sick. We come out twelve miles & camp. Begins raining tonight. I mess with Col. Frazier and Tom Ford. Good nights rest.

January 6—We leave camp before day in the rain. Snows a little & sleet. Pass through Guntown—very poor place. Have a muddy, cold time of it though we traveled sixteen miles and camp in a very pleasant place.

January 7—Leave camp at day break with the prospect of a beautiful day. The sun rises in all its shining splendor making everything look cheerful. At 2 o’clock it begins snowing & increases its velocity until it comes in a cloud. We are compelled to stop for the night.

January 8—Today is very unlikely for a pleasant march for it is sprinkling rain, but notwithstanding, we have a pleasant trip today and at night we camp in a beautiful sandy country and sleep well all night.

January 9—Leave camp in the cold rain an hour by sun, yet wet to the skin. Travel all day through the rain. At night, camp in a swamp. Still raining so we can’t dry. We are compelled to sleep in our wet clothes.

January 10—Cross Little Town Creek near Cotton Gin Port in a flatboat. Travel seven miles through the worst roads I ever saw, mud being ten or twelve inches deep. Our train is halted near Mr. Wilson’s until further orders to rest.

January 11—I visit Mr. Wilson’s family. He has four grown daughters—one of them a widow. One of them I find to be quite a nice lady. I repair his clock. Buy potatoes & lard from them and live very high on potato biscuit & bacon. We are in five miles of Aberdeen.

January 12—The weather is very fine & pleasant for the season. It reminds one as much of spring for the music of the birds can he [heard] throughout the forest—all but the green foliage of spring. What a calm.

January 13—Col. Frazier & I call on the Misses Wilson & meet up with a grass-widow from Aberdeen, whom I could not fancy at all, but the Col. seemed to be taken with her and so did several of our Brigade who visited them.

January 14—Feel dull & stupid today which causes me to think more about home. I write to A. E. A. and send it to be mailed at Aberdeen. I loll about camp until I am very nearly work out and desire to be with the regiment.

January 15—Dr. Eberheart & I go to New Hope Church and head a good sermon by Parson Tompkins of the Florida Brigade from the text, “We would see Jesus.” Small log house and crammed to the doors. Get orders to leave.

January 16—Leave on our way for Columbus at daylight. Pass through Aberdeen which has been a beautiful & business place before the war but the Yanks has destroyed some of the buildings. Cross Tombigbee River and camp at night in log huts, five miles south of Aberdeen.

January 17—Leave camp at sunrise. Find we had taken the wrong road yesterday. Went back into the military road and stopped for the night near Mrs. McCowan’s [with]in nine miles of Columbus. Met with some of the Bon Tons [high society] of Mississippi there.

January 17, 1865 (Tuesday) General Beauregard arrives in Tupelo with instructions, from Secretary Seddon, to grant General Hood’s request to be relieved of command and to send as many troops “as may be spared” to Augusta, Georgia. Beauregard immediately approved a “judicious system of furloughs” for the men in Hood’s army “to prevent disorder and desertion in [the] Army of Tennessee.” John Bell Hood sends two dispatches to President Davis, one offering “to command a corps or division,” and the second requesting that he be assigned “west of the Mississippi River.” According to Hood, “I think I can be of more service there than east of the river.” Although Beauregard is satisfied that the army “requires immediate reorganization and consolidation” and believes that “to divide this small army at this juncture to re-enforce General Hardee would expose to capture Mobile, Demopolis, Selma, Montgomery, and all the rich valley of the Alabama River,” he organizes the “first shipment of about 8,000 troops” for the long and arduous train ride to Georgia. 

January 18—I leave camp about light before the train left in order to have time to see Cousin [James Thomas] Dionysius Anderson 1 in hospital at Columbus. I staid with him a few hours, then our train came on and went out to Nashville.

1 James Thomas Dionysius Anderson (1842-1885)1842, was the eldest son of Thomas Anderson and Anna Gray Allen of South Carolina. He was married in Union Parish, Louisiana, on 7 December 1869 to Elizabeth Elvira Bird (1853-1885). The history of Wilmar, Drew county, Arkansas is generally said to begin with James Thomas Dionysius Anderson, who bought 700 acres of land in Drew County for a dollar an acre in 1859. After the war, Dionysius returned to Wilmar and raised his family there.

January 19—We are compelled to remain here at Nashville all day until another train crosses before ours—i.e., the Tombigbee River. I get some washing done here at Mr. Landers. The process of crossing is very slow—cross with sticks. Our quartermaster borrows a rope.

January 20—Today we begin crossing the river about eight o’clock. Come out seven miles from Nashville & camp in a low, marshy place. We have plenty wood and of course plenty fire, but the torrents of rain tonight puts it out.

January 21—Today the rain ceases for awhile and we can have fire and cook. Col. Frazier leaves us for the command at Tupelo. This evening we receive orders to leave in the morning for better camp.

January 22—This morning bright & early we are all ready for changing our base for a more pleasant location but we pay for the change by traveling over some boggy roads through fields &c. Camp in eleven miles of Columbus in a very good place.

January 23—Our commissary wagons leave for Columbus after rations and I come with them on my way to the regiment. But at Columbus I learn that no train will run in ten days. Therefore, I enter Newsom Hospital 2 until I can get transportation.

2 “A Confederate hospital inspection report dated May 2, 1862, referred to Callaway as Newsom Hospital. It had three surgeons and three physicians with a 190-bed capacity, but when inspected it was filled with 287 patients. A Dr. Shattuck, from Vermont, was a math instructor at the Columbus Female Institute but had previously studied medicine. In early 1862, with the pressing need for doctors at the rapidly expanding Confederate hospitals in Columbus, Shattuck became a surgeon at Newsom Hospital and later served as a major and surgeon in Forrest Calvary.” [The Dispatch]

January 24—Feel very much refreshed this morning. Rose early, get breakfast. Cousin Dionysius & I take a walk through town and down to the river. See the Steamer Gertrude. Buy me two handkerchiefs [for] $7.

January 25—I rise before day this morning, make a fire and take a walk. Read 45th Psalm and down to 49th & feel the necessity of a clean heart which only fits man for happiness bothers here & hereafter.

January 26—Today am suffering some with neuralgia. Begin to read “The Throne of David.” Am well pleased with it. Lieut. Lovin [Lorin?] leaves us. Weather extremely cold but keep comfortable by the fire.

January 27—Weather somewhat warmer. I learn that our Corps leaves for Georgia from Tupelo. I feel rejoiced that I could escape the march over such muddy roads. My feet are swollen & are painful.

January 28—This morning I rise with severe pain in my face & head but the misery subsides during the forenoon. I take a short nap which quite refreshes me. Take a pleasant walk up the river. Feel tolerable well—all but my feet.

January 29—This morning I complete reading The Throne of David having been very much interested in it and immediately begin to read Self Knowledge which is one of the Christian Library.

January 30—This morning I feel weary of my bed. I rose early. Fine, pleasant weather. Cousin Dionysius & I take a tramp thorough the city. See the railroad bridge opened to pass a steam boat up the river.

January 31—This morning is pleasant and springlike, making one feel very merry & it is such weather that reminds me of home and its pleasures. I go before the examining board. I see Dr. [Edward Archelaus] Flewellen, he being here to inspect hospitals.

February 1865

February 1—As the last month passed away to give place to a new, reminds me of the shortness of life. Cloudy in the morning but it fairs off and is quite a pleasant day. I write to Cousin Emily Coleman, 3 but can’t send it off.

3 Emily Neal Coleman (1857-1877) was the daughter of Jesse Walter Coleman (1815-1891) and Emily Neal (1821-1891) of Mount Willing, Lowndes county, Alabama. Grant may be writing to Emily’s mother (see Feb. 4 entry).

February 2—This morning it is raining some and very disagreeable weather. Suffer all the morning with neuralgia. This evening have one tooth drawn. Begin a letter to. Mrs. A. E. A. Finish Valentine to Miss N. to be mailed at Burnsville.

February 3—A morning shower and the rain is over. Suffering very much with neuralgia. I have another tooth extracted. Face begins to rise & to be very painful. Take some opium tonight and sleep well.

February 4—This morning is very disagreeable & rainy but clears off by evening. Cousin Dionysius & I take a short visit to a public garden where we see a variety of beautiful shrubbery & plants. write to Miss F. E. and finish letter to Mrs. E[mily] C[oleman] intending to mail them in Montgomery.

February 5—Still suffering with neuralgia. The church bells are ringing. I feel very much inclined to go to church but decline on account of the inclemency of the weather. Loll about my room all day devoting most of my time in reading Miss Lide.

February 6—Cousin Dionysius Anderson & I get a transfer from Newsom Hospital at Columbus, Miss. to Macon, Georgia. It begins sleeting as we leave. Travel in a crowded freight box and spend the night at wayside hospital at Meridian, Mississippi.

February 7—Take a dose of morphine last night for the neuralgia to cause me to sleep. Feel drowsy all the morning, therefore, take a good nap. We leave Meridian at nine o’clock at night traveling all night o passenger car. Met with one of 20th Tennessee Regiment.

February 8—Arrive at Mobile 9:30 o’clock. Walk about over the city to hunt up Mrs. Thompson. Find her son Charlie at sun down near the wharf. Visit Mrs. Thompson until ten o’clock at night. Sleep down on the wharf. Very cold night.

February 9—Leave Mobile on the boat Taensa at sun rose up the river to Taensa Landing, got on the cars there, go up to Greenville by 10 o’clock night where we lay over till morning.

February 10—Very heavy frost and cold. Leave Greenville at six o’clock. I see Mr. Tuttle at Fort Deposit. Arrive at Montgomery eleven o’clock. Go to Wayside Hospital. Walk about the city in the evening and spend the night at Wayside.

February 11—Meet up with Gus Hornel of Barnesville. Train very much crowded, however we leave seated on our baggage at half past six o’clock. Meet with acquaintances of Kingston and Irvin Hospitals. Cousin Em Brink at Opelika [AL]. Arrive at Columbus 5 o’clock p.m.

February 12—Leaving Columbus at sunrise having slept in Wayside Home last night on the floor. Pass through Fort Valley. See C. Foyer & J. Costlin. Learn there that Mrs. Dr. Austin died three weeks ago. Arrived at Macon 4 o’clock p.m.

February 13—Cousin Dionysius and I took breakfast at Floyd House Hospital expecting to be transferred here in the evening. Visit brother Robert, 4 walk over city awhile and dine with him. Assigned to this hospital. Write to cousin Amanda [Coleman]. See Will H.

4 Presumably Dr. Robert Beall Gardner (b. 1829)—a half-brother of Grant’s. Before she married Grant’s father, his mother was married to Sterling Gardner who died in 1834.

February 14—I receive pass to go to Barnesville but train left me. Raining and very unpleasant. Begin letter to sister….Robert & dine with him at Prison Hospital, Cousin Dionysius and I walk through the city of Macon.

February 15—I go to Barnesville, dine with sister Sue…. I meet up with….all come down to Macon at 7:30 at night. I sleep at hospital.

February 16—I receive discharge from hospital and rejoin our regiment at the Depot. They are awaiting there for two more companies from Columbus. They arrived at [ ] o’clock. I write to Miss. L… & [ ] Anderson.

February 17—Our companies leave Macon on the cars at 8 o’clock this morning. See the destruction of the [ ] along the line from [ ] Railroad. Arrive at Milledgeville at 2 o’clock p.m. Camp near town. 28 miles.

February 18—Leave camps near Milledgeville, pass through very broken country. We camp near a creek 7 miles of Sparta. See a number of troops passing.

February 19—This morning we hire a wagon to haul our baggage to town—i.e., John & Jim Hunt and myself. Get into town 10 o’clock a.m. Get breakfast & dinner at Bill Hunt’s. See the Misses Stewarts on the porch at Sparta. We leave Sparta at 2 o’clock p.m. Camp [with]in three miles of Mayfield.

February 20—We leave camp 3 miles from Mayfield and met our company near town. Went on & got in the train at 10:30 o’clock a.m. The roughest road to Camak [Ga.] I ever saw. I saw Cousin Lisa Rogers there. Met Cousin Cham___ H. Arrived at Augusta at sundown. Go out west of town two miles to camp.

February 21—We expect orders to leave but await to get wagon. This evening I visit Dr. [E. T.] Parker 5 at Asylum Hospital. 6 Go back to camp & sleep very warm and comfortably.

5 Dr. Edward Tiley Parker, Jr. (b. 1833) was an Assistant Surgeon in the 48th Georgia Regiment four years. He was married to Fanny M. Bancom (1834-1905) in January 1858 in Warren county, Georgia. Fanny was a widow living in Nacogdoches, Texas when she filed a pension claim for her husband’s service in the Confederate army.

6 Asylum Hospital was located at the Race Course on Ellis Street and in January 1865, the Head Surgeon was M. E. Swinney. It had first been established by Surgeon Henry C. Clayton in August 1864 to care for the wounded soldiers who had been unloaded from Georgia Railroad cars and left more or less exposed near the tracks .

February 22—Receive letter from Mrs. A. E. A. Had quite an unpleasant night of t and sleep late this morning. Overslept myself. Feel badly. I revive and take a stroll over the city of Augusta and think it a beautiful city. Prices of everything are enormous.

February 23—We received orders to leave & cross the river into South Carolina at 10 o’clock. This morning I got orders to remain in charge of Medical stores & go with them to the front. We camp out in horse creek. It rains and we have an unpleasant night of it.

Hospitals in Augusta, Georgia in January 1865

February 24—Begins raining and continues to rain all day. Very disagreeable weather. See Hen Walker and Ben Hamil. We get a fly and put before our tent. Does well.

February 25—Rain ceases but still remains cloudy. This evening I go over to Augusta from our camp at Hamburg, S. C. I visit Dr. Parker and see his lady [Fanny] with him. It begins to thunder and lightning and have heavy rain tonight.

February 26—This morning some prospects of a clear day. Sun shining very brightly. Capt. Kendall & Lieut. Hightower in town. One Co. B of the Battalion reported as deserted, but finally came back.

February 27—I remain in camp all day. Lieut. Kendall arrives in the Batt. of sharpshooters. The boys catch bushels of fish. I get a good mess for supper.

February 28—What a pity we can’t have pleasant weather a short time. I am in such pain on account of decayed teeth and suffer more in wet weather. I hope when it clears off to feel better. I am troubled about the contents of last letter from A. E. A.

February 29—This day only comes around once in four years. It does not make its appearance this year.

March 1865

March 1—I draw some clothing this morning. Get in order to report to the Gen. Hospital and am assigned to Dr. [E. T.] Parker’s Ward in Asylum Hospital at Augusta. I am still suffering with neuralgia. Sun shines out and appears as though we would have pleasant weather.

March 2—Raining again this morning. Weather very changeable. I intend having some teeth extracted first good spell of weather for I can’t read or do anything else with satisfaction or care. I long to be at home again where there is rest.

March 3—Mrs. Dr. [Fanny M.] Parker leaves for home at Camak [Warren Co., Georgia]. Remain closely confined in hospital until evening. Then I go to the Depot, meet Gus Hamil [Kamil?] there. Freight train now off track.

March 4—This is the day Lincoln takes his seat for a second term. It has been rumored that on this day, foreign nations would recognize the Southern Confederacy. Cousin Liss Rogers and her sister-in-law come down to Augusta.

March 5—Having been informed that there would be preaching in lower ward, I attended. Heard a splendid sermon. I attended Baptist Sabbath School this evening. A Seminary [?] Stable was burned last night—much excitement in the place.

March 6—I visit our regiment camped across the Savannah River in South Carolina about two miles from Augusta. Here meet with several of the boys who have recently come from home.

March 7—I am suffering so much with neuralgia I am inclined to have my teeth extracted. Consequently go to Dr. Patterson and have three extracted. I suffer much with my jaw where the teeth’s taken from.

March 8—Today the weather is very gloomy and prospect for good still more gloomy. I feel much better this evening. I begin letter to home using Amanda’s on the strength of it. Tonight I put sweet oil & laudanum in my ear.

March 9—I again visit our regiment although it has appearance of much rain. Find the men merry & cheerful expecting to leave soon. Get back just as the heavy rain sits in. My face is nearly well. Finish letter to A. E. A.

March 10—Raining. Seems to be the order of nature here in Augusta for it is raining nearly all the while. I remain confined in the hospital today and feel very drowsy & lazy.

March 11—This morning I determine to exercise some. Consequently I leave my confinement in hospital and stroll over the city. Meet with several of friends from different commands who seem glad to see me.

March 12—Today is a lovely day, so much more I love it for it is the Sabbath. I attend preaching in the Methodist Church. A splendid sermon, “Love God.”

March 13—I begin to read the Life of Princess Josephine and become very much interested in it. Have a splendid opportunity for reading if I had brought books to occupy my time. Feel rather puny this evening.

March 14—The weather is very warm and spring-like, but it continues to rain which adds to everything a gloomy appearance and makes one feel melancholy. But sometimes there is some merriment here.

March 15—Today it is raining again but the sun appears occasionally as though it might fair off. Dr. Parker & family go to a private house. Meet Col. Barrow.

March 16—I am feeling dull & stupid today and remain in hospital all day reading and writing until I am wearied, taking each by turns. This evening I feel much refreshed from a sweet nap I have just taken.

March 17—The day is beautiful and spring-like. The sun feels pleasant. I visit Dr. Parker at Ms. Katy Codgers and find him very sick. Col. Gibson has him well cared for. I devote the best portion of my time in reading the Bible and find it a source of great comfort.

March 18—Two of our company & several from our regiment stop here at the hospital as the regiment left this morning for the army with others numbering about ten thousand men in all.

March 19—This morning I go. to Methodist Church and hear [Rev. Dr.] E. H. Myers 7 preach from Proverbs 11th Chapter, 12th Verse. I visit Dr. Parker this evening who is sick as a private house. Tonight I again hear a sermon preached from this text, “Was out your own salvation with dear and trembling for it is God which worketh in you …Phillippeans 11th Chapter, 13th Verse.

7 Rev. E. H. Myers, D. D., was the Corresponding Secretary of the Bible Society of the Confederate States of America.

March 20—Feeling rather unwell. I am not inclined to stroll about much. See Willie Sandwich and Brown from Upton. I have attempted and am very anxious to get a transfer to Madison but as of yet I have not succeeded.

March 21—I remain in the hospital the greater portion of the day devoting my time to the reading of the Bible. Attend St. James Methodist Episcopal Church. Text 1st clause of 9th verse of sixteenth chapter.

March 22—Today is unusually fine & pleasant and my spirit is much lighter. I again attend the revival at St. James Church. Scenes of penitents crowding the altar for prayer. 8 Meet Mrs. Heard & daughter there who seemed glad to see me.

8 The Daily Constitutionalist (Augusta, Ga.) reported on Thursday, March 23, 1865 that “An interesting revival of religion has been for some time in progress in the St. James Methodist Episcopal Church on Greene Street. The house is crowded nightly by large and serious congregations, and scores of the young and old are crowding around the altar.”

March 23—I see by divine grace how far I had transgressed His most Holy Law. Again I am at the revival at night. Text Revelations 22nd Chapter, 12th Verse. I was struck fervently with the arguments of the minister. Resolved to do better than I had ever done.

March 24—This morning is cool and pleasant. I feel the consolation of His spirit. Revival continues tonight. Text…[illegible].

March 25—The weather fine, Feel very much relieved of pain in my jaw. Miss Katie Cody visits Dr. Parker. Expect Cousin Fannie Parker down but she fails to come. I witness the operation of the fire engines this evening. Get transfer to May Hospital, Madison.

March 26—I meet Cousin Fannie at day break at the Depot. Attend Presbyterian Church. Text, “I have no pleasure on the death of the wicked, &c.” Sit up late talking with Dr. Parker.

March 27—This morning I leave the Asylum Hospital, and come to Camak [Ga.]. Meet with Miss Bob Roberts and go home with to Warrenton. Get acquainted with the Misses Culpeper.

March 28—The weather is very damp. I take record of the Beall family from cousin Jesse Roberts. Visit Dr. T. Gibson. Get acquainted with Miss Mary Gibson and her mother. Wife and daughter of Col. Gibson.

Runaways still being advertised in the Augusta Chronicle on 28 March 1865

March 29—Slept with a Mr. W. A. Cobb last night at Judge Roberts. Visit Maj. John Neal’s family. Get acquainted with Miss Lizzy Neal. Very nice lady and so is her mother. Graft some roses for cousin Bob Roberts.

March 30—Meet Col. M. Smith. I leave Warrenton and eat dinner at Dr. Parker’s. Go out and spend the night with cousin Liss Rogers. Find her in good health. Repair her clock.

March 31—I come back to Camak, eat dinner with cousin Fannie Parker, make the acquaintance of Hareback and Miss Mayes. The weather very windy and disagreeable. Spend the night with cousin Fannie Parker. Draw picture of a dog. Write to Miss M. to fool her tomorrow. Repair cousin Fannie Parker’s clock.

April 1865

Sherman’s troops tore up the tracks and burned the depot at Madison, Georgia in early December 1864, but found the mansions in the town too beautiful to burn.

April 1—Morning beautiful. [Went with] cousin Fannie Parker visit Cousin Sallie Brinkley. I repair her clock. Come back, take dinner at Camak and leave at twelve o’clock for Madison and arrive at five in the evening and found cousin Warren [Gibson] looking for me.

April 2—Go to Methodist Sabbath School. Meet Miss Mollie Floyd. Attend church and after preaching, Mrs. Porter would have me to dine with her. In the evening I take tea with & spend the night with Mrs. Floyd. Miss Mollie & I visit the Misses Wade.

April 3—This morning I meet and become acquainted with Bro. Gray of Georgia [Methodist] Conference. After breakfast I come back to hospital & go before examining board. Get certified of disability. Wrote to A.E.A. and Bro. Robert.

April 4—I have headache this morning and feel very bad as I lounge about my room and read. But I am soon sleepy. The weather has appearance of rain but at sunset the sun shines out beautifully.

April 5—I feel very much invigorated by sound sleep last night. I spend most of the day in reading. Cousin Warren Gibson and I visit Miss Mollie Floyd after tea and have quite a pleasant evening indeed.

April 6—Today I visit two of my company at Court House. I visit Mrs. Porter and take tea with her. After tea, I accompany the Misses Wade & Floyd home.

April 7—A beautiful day dawns upon us and how my gratitude is felt in such blessings. I call on Miss Sallie Davies and find her very entertaining. Miss Molly Floyd sends cousin Warren Gibson and I a magnificent bouquet.

April 8—This morning it is cloudy and gloomy as yesterday was fair & beautiful. Sign of much rain. I am so restless and I can’t say why. I am not pleased at anything. I give vent to my feelings by walking alone in the forest.

April 9—I attend Methodist Sabbath School with W. Allen and W. Persons. Attend preaching—a sermon by Dr. Means, 33rd Psalm, 12th verse. Have headache this evening. Sleep nearly all the evening. Stroll about woods.

April 10—Torrents of rain falling this morning and everything appears gloomy, but this evening the clouds are thinner and the rain ceases and the sun makes its appearance. Begin letter to Mrs. A. G. A.

April 11—A heavy fog this morning but the sun soon changes appearance of things and we have a delightful day. I spend the evening with Miss Mollie Floyd and see Miss Mattie Wade and hear her play on piano.

April 12—I have a slight headache this morning. The day is beautiful. I meet Bob Bergman in lower Madison. Had not heard from home in six months.

April 13—Weather cool this morning but turned warm during the day. I am suffering with a severe headache and lay up most of the day. I take a delightful promenade and see many beautiful yards near Madison.

April 14—My head comes easier. Feels sore and dizzy. Miss Mollie Floyd sent me breakfast which I did justice for it was very nice. I drop creosote in cousin Warren Gibson’s tooth. He is suffering with neuralgia.

April 15—My head nearly well. I call to see Mrs. Floyd & Miss Mollie and get caught in a rain as I go to the depot. Miss Mollie Floyd and Miss Annie Wade send me breakfast this morning.

April 16—Today is such a beautiful day but I am unable to enjoy it. I am troubled with headache ad lay in bed all day. Miss Mollie Floyd send me some very nice wafers for supper. I divide with Mrs. Wright.

April 17—Miss Annie Wade send me a nice breakfast—light roll biscuits, batter cakes, eggs, hominy, and butter—enough for three. Cousin Warren goes up to [ ] and return with increased neuralgia. It rains this evening.

April 18—I stroll about town and take plans of several yards. Cousin Warren still suffering. The weather excessively warm today. I remain indoors reading and writing. Finish letters.

April 19—I have been suffering with disordered stomach and bowels but feel better today. I take tea with Mrs. Porter and after tea go to Mrs. Floyd’s. Cousin Warren, Miss Spiller, Miss Colbert, Miss Thompson, and the Misses Wade come on and we have a pleasant entertainment. Spent the night with Mrs. Floyd.

April 20—After breakfast I go back to the hospital and spend the morning in reading, I go before the board for a furlough and they gave me a furlough to Atlanta. Trains make first trip through to Atlanta on Georgia road.

April 21—Today is a beautiful day. I take outline of Mrs. Kolb’s yard. Hear that there is an armistice. Call on Miss Lollie Davies and Miss Mollie Floyd. Meet John Simmons here.

April 22—I leave Madison for home. Receive 60 days furlough. Stopped in Atlanta with Mrs. Colhran. See Cousin Em Peacock. 9 Spend night there.

9 Emily Priscilla Hightower was the daughter of J. M. and Caroline Hightower. She was born May 21, 1843 and was married to Dr. Seth A Peacock on 6 October 1864. She died on 15 February 1879.

April 23—This morning I leave Atlanta, get to Barnesville at noon. In the evening borrow horse from Mr. Hanson

[Here the entries stop and do not resume again until 26 October 1865]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s