Youthful Daredevils

The sixth-place ambrotype (reversed) of John Henry Thomas taken in 1862 while serving as 2nd Lieutenant in Co. C of the “Irish Battalion,” or the 1st Battalion Virginia Infantry (Regulars). Lt. Thomas wears his double breasted officer’s frock coat with gilded buttons and he holds his slouch hat adorned with an acorn braid hat cord on his lap. The tip of his leather revolver holster can be seen peeking out from underneath.
(W. Griffing Collection)

“Youthful daredevils who rode side-by-side,” is how noted author Jeffry Wirt referred to the young men who joined John S. Mosby’s partisan rangers from Fairfax, Fauquier, and Louden counties in Virginia. Nicknamed the “Gray Ghost” for his lightning quick raids and his ability to elude Union pursuit, Mosby came to operate with impunity in the aforementioned counties, harassing the rear of the Federal army in an area that came to be called “Mosby’s Confederacy.” His command—the 43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry—was not officially organized until the spring of 1863, but recruiting was never a problem. Young men from the counties whose family farms were being destroyed and ravished by Union forces, their homes occupied by Union officers, or their family members abused or disrespected were more than anxious to “join up” with Mosby who reported to no one but J. E. B. Stuart.

John’s father, Hon. Henry W. Thomas of Fairfax Court House, Va. (Library of Virginia)

One such volunteer was John Henry Thomas (1843-1888)—the son of Judge Henry Wirtz Thomas who represented Fairfax county in the State Legislature before the war and served the Confederacy as the Auditor of the State. His mother was Julia M. Jackson, the older sister of James William Jackson, the proprietor of the Marshall House in nearby Alexandria, who became instantly famous for killing Col. Elmer Ellsworth when the colonel removed the Confederate flag from the hotel’s rooftop flagpole in May 1861. Jackson was in turn immediately gunned down by Ellsworth’s men, his body bayonetted and trampled—the “first martyr to the cause of Southern Independence.”

A handsome young man standing 6 foot tall, with blue eyes and dark hair, John Henry was working as a clerk when the war began and did not initially enlist until 18 April 1862 as a private in Co. G (the “Hanover Light Dragoons”) of the famous “Black Horse” 4th Virginia Cavalry. Like most other young men with connections, however, he used his father’s influence to obtain a commission from the Governor as a 2nd Lt. in Co. C of the “Irish Battalion,” or the 1st Battalion Virginia Infantry (Regulars), and so he was not long in transferring into the infantry, his commission arriving in May 1862 while he was hospitalized at Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond suffering from diarrhea.

By the fall of 1862, with the Union’s demoralizing loss at the Battle of Second Bull Run and Chantilly, the Army of the Potomac took up permanent quarters around Fairfax Court House, making it the headquarters of Maj. General Franz Sigel’s XII Corps, and even establishing a military hospital in the Seminary. The occupation of his home town and the “house guests” in blue who frequented his father’s home looking for room and board no doubt wore on John like an itchy wool sweater. 

Col. Elmer E. Ellsworth’s frock coat showing the hole that John’s uncle—James Wm. Jackson—put in it at close range with his 12 Gauge double barrel shotgun on 24 May 1861. The New York State Military Museum.

Early in 1863, when Mosby began operating with squads of limited numbers, John’s muster records indicate that he was with his regiment still hunkered down south of the Rappahannock at Fredericksburg. In March and April, however, records shows him on detached service as the Provost Marshall at Beaver Dam, Virginia—his daytime job. At night, he began to hook up with Mosby’s rangers on raids behind enemy lines. Though Mosby had as many as 800 men who rode with him by the end of April, most of the time they operated only in small squads to escape detection. One such midnight raid in which John was known to have participated was the “Fairfax Court House Raid of March 9, 1863” resulting in the capture of Gen. Edwin H. Stoughton who was quartered in the Dr. William P. Gunnell House and other officers quartered in the residence of John’s father. The raid was summed up by William Alexander McCoy of Co. B, 1st West Virginia Cavalry in a letter dated on 13 March 1863 (published on Spared & Shared 22) which read:

“The rebels made quite a daring raid on Fairfax Court House a few nights ago. They took General Stoughton and a few other officers and 40 or 50 condemned horses. I suppose they thought that they were getting a fine lot of horses but I guess that they found out their mistake as soon it became daylight for they turned several of them loose and they came back. The horses on an average were worth about $2½ a piece. There was about 40 of the rebels. All of them had our uniforms on and by some way mysterious obtained the countersign and came almost through our camp, went to Fairfax, done all they wanted to, and then returned unmolested…They are called “Partisan Rangers.” They don’t receive any pay from the Confederacy. All the horses that they capture they sell at Richmond and this is the way that they get their pay. They will not fight anything like their own number. All they want to do is to capture horses and other articles from us that they can sell.”

From April 30 to August 31, 1863, whether John was present with his regiment was “not stated” in the muster rolls. It seems evident that he was not and on 5 October 1863, he “resigned his commission and joined Mosby’s command.” A letter addressed to Secretary of War James Sedden dated 28 August 1863 may be found in his military file requesting authority to raise a company of cavalry “to act within the lines of the enemy in conjunction with Major Mosby & under his command.” He went on to add that he was “well acquainted with the region of country in which he is acting & am confident that, with authority from you, I can raise a Company in a short time, having had assurances given me to that effect.” Such authority may have been necessary for Mosby to accept John officially into the Rangers as he was known to insist upon no deserters joining his outfit.

As a member of Mosby’s Partison Rangers, it understandably proves more difficult to track John’s movements and activities going forward but a book by Keen & Mewborn published in 1993 entitled “43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry” informs us that John was a 4th Sergeant in Co. A and that he officially joined the Rangers in the fall of 1863. He was known to be on the 14 November 1863 raid on a sutler’s wagon near Fairfax Court House and he was taken prisoner two days later and charged with plundering. The date of his exchange isn’t known. In July 1864 he participated in a raid on Point of Rocks, Maryland (see “Great Calico Raid”), and two days later at Mt. Zion Church. On October 9, 1864, he led a skirmish and captured dispatches at Ashby’s Gap. He officially surrendered on 9 May 1865 and “swallowed the yellow dog” (took oath) at Alexandria.

A letter embossed with the State of Virginia seal addressed to John H. Thomas, Mosby’s Command, Louden county, Va. hand carried during the war. [William J. Stier Collection]

John’s post-war activities are sketchy. He married Fannie Gwynn (1847-1907) and settled down in Fairfax county where he attempted to rebuild his life. The 1870 US Census identifies him as a farmer but what was left of the family farm is uncertain as a Freedman’s village and school was reportedly built on a portion of his father’s lands. By 1880 he had taken a job as a “mail agent on the Manassas branch of the Virginia Maryland railroad,” and had fathered three children—Alma M. Thomas, age 7, and twin girls Ruth and Ruby, age 3. He died eight years later in 1888 at the age of 45, his cause of death described curiously “as an illness of but three days” while visiting at his father’s home in Fairfax Court House. The one and only obituary notice I could find for him summed up his life with the phrase, “during the war he was a member of Mosby’s battalion.”

The back of the cased image with Alma’s note identifying the image as that of her father, John H. Thomas. The note is attached with brittle and yellowed tape.

The 6th-plate ambrotype image of John Henry Thomas is identified by a piece of paper taped to the outside of the case which reads, “John H. Thomas, son of Judge H. Thomas, Confederate 1st Lieut. under Stone Wall Jackson by his daughter Alma, Fairfax, Va.” The image was sold at auction in 1997 and has been in the personal collection of my friend Jean MacCallum until recently when she sold it to me. Jean gathered most of the background material on the Thomas family and together we confirmed that Alma was actually John’s daughter, had married Henry Cox Saffell in 1896, and that she lived in the District of Columbia until her death in 1966 at the age of 93. Her advanced age when she labeled this image may account for her confusion of Jeb Stuart with Stonewall Jackson but the other identifiers are unmistakable. 

One thought on “Youthful Daredevils”

  1. Griff,

    I am thrilled to have this image now in your collection and featured here on your S&S “pantheon!” As an American born on the 4th of July, I so appreciate and admire all the work you’ve done and continue to do voluntarily to preserve and promote our Country’s great history, especially that of the Civil War!! Thanks for filling in some of the gaps in my knowledge of John Henry’s life as I will always feel a special attachment to his story.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s